Home is where the heart is
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

the gig begins (with out sound check!)

2 posters

Go down

the gig begins (with out sound check!) Empty the gig begins (with out sound check!)

Post by William Holden Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:41 pm

I walked to the coffee shop door and since I left the place has sure livened up. There are a number of people there, about half have made the effort for the fancy dress competition and it is sure filling up.  The mix is off kid from school and 20 something's, with a  few older ones for good measure. I get a few greetings as I move through.

I see Rufus chatting at the counter and a big sofa at the back of the place, where it will be a bit quieter is free. I move quickly to take it, it won't offer much of a view but it has a table and we can talk or eat there.the rest of the place is cleared for a small dance space.

I notice the band being late has decided a sound check is unneeded and Robbie the record store owner is giving his invaluable advice and checking tuning.

"is this ok for you?" I ask as I take the sofa , it's a three seater so I hope you won't feel intimated by me being to close. "what you want to drink? You want soup and a sandwich?
William Holden
William Holden
Admin

Back to top Go down

the gig begins (with out sound check!) Empty Re: the gig begins (with out sound check!)

Post by Belle Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:42 pm

Walking into the shop behind you, I followed closely feeling a bit uncomfortable by my new surroundings. I was a nervous person when it came to new places. I was not good with meeting people and always felt awkward. I was shocked I had not run off crying thinking I have made a fool of myself with you. Walking with you, I lowered my head and watched your feet as you spoke to a few folks. I did not want you to have to explain me, so I just kept my eyes straight and focused on you in hope no one questioned either of us.

Looking up as I heard you ask if this was okay, I smiled slightly as my eyes met yours as you sat on the sofa.

"Yes Sir...this is fine." I said steping around the table and pulled the strap of my bag from over my head and placed it on the floor. My eyes scanning the room now trying to scope out the crowd as I tried to make myself comfortable in the little nook of the noisy shop.

Feeling my tummy grumble again at the mention of food, I nod it quickly as I looked back at you. Luckily I had a few bucks still on me, so I knew this meal was not going to me a issue for me.

"Soup and a sandwich would be awesome...if you don't mind." I said reaching into my pocket reaching for my wallet. "A cup of apple juice also too. I have money here to pay for it." I said patting the pants of my pocket as I pulled out my wallet.
Belle
Belle

Back to top Go down

the gig begins (with out sound check!) Empty Re: the gig begins (with out sound check!)

Post by William Holden Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:55 pm

I watch you get comfortable and smile at you in hopefully a friendly way, with the place this busy it means we can chat and not be watched or overheard. I know this place is a nice place but sometimes it seems very one has their eyes on you and interested in your business. I am sure me talking to a young girl would attract some level of comment.

"So is there anything you don't like to eat? I think they could get you some tomato soup and a ham and cheese sandwich r something?" When you mention money I shake my head and say"Don't worry about that, this is my treat as a welcome to Baywood! I am the official welcoming committee! "

As we talk the band starts up, considering they have had no time to soundcheck, they are not that bad and Robbie is moving about making some fine adjustments for them. THe first song is simple minds, don't you forget about me and certainly gets those who know it singing and moving about.
William Holden
William Holden
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Belle Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:04 pm

As I saw you smile at me, I smiled gently back feeling a bit more at ease as I settled onto the sofa. The sound of everyone around me drowning out as I tried to keep up with you accent. It was taking me a bit, but I was getting use to it as I toned into you voice and not the noise surrounding me.

"Yeah there is, but right now I would eat anything." I chuckled quietly as I tucked my hair behind my ear. "I am just hungry."

Looking in your eyes as you offered to pay for my food, my head tiltled as I looked at you shocked. No one has ever offered to pay for anything for me. I could barely get my parents to by me a cookie let alone a meal.

"Well...thanks Mr. Holden." I smiled over at the gentalmen "You sure know how to make a person feel welcome." I said with a slight giggle meaning it.

Sitting back, I looked around at all the people as the music kicked in. The sounds blaring around us as folks start to sway and sing along to the familiar song. Thinking for a second as I listened to the song that was beyond my years, I smiled wide realizing where I heard it from as my head started to bob a bit. It was from that movie with all the kids stuck in detention. Awesome choice I thought as I looked over at you out the corner of my eye.

Sitting there, I began to wonder about you more. You said you were the welcome wagon here which was pretty cool. It was nice to have someone come up and greet me for once and not feel creeped out. Just made me intrigded by your kindness.

"So..." I looked over at you as I placed my hands on the table and twirled my thumbs. "Is it like this all the time around here? Seems like everyone is out tonight." I said looking over the crowd of people. I was not use to being in big crowds, so even this small gathering in the club seemed like a massive hurd.
Belle
Belle

Back to top Go down

Post by William Holden Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:40 pm

I laugh lightly "well it is normally a bit quieter than this, Roofie, also know as Rufus, he's owner here likes to have a band on at least once a month. it just happens to be that night tonight. The place its self is friendly and not much trouble, I have lived here for 3 years and its a good place, nice people and beautiful scenery"

I take my leave for a moment and talk to the guy at the counter with the seriously long hair and he seems to know me well as we laugh and joke for a second and then he glances over at you. He smiles and then takes some of my money, within moments he has disappeared behind the counter and looks to be busy preparing your food. I walk back and grin, "that will be a few minutes."

When I sit down , look at you and decide to try a few questions, hopefully nothing to intrusive "so Belle, where you come from?"
William Holden
William Holden
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Belle Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:47 pm

"Oh...well that is cool." I said as I placed my elbow on the table and rest my chin on the palm of my hand. My eyes darting over the crowded shop as I tap my feet against the floor. "Sounds like this is a pretty net place to live." I smiled gently over at you as I felt a bit more relaxed now that we have been there a while.

Looking at you stand up, I shift in my seat as you walked away out of the blue. Watching you walk over to the counter, I tried to stay focused keep my head straight and focus on the band, but could not help but to watch you out the corner of my eye. Seeing you talking to some long haired dude, I tilted my head and looked fully over at you to.

"What's he smiling at." I mumbled as my mind began to race. Thought he smiled, I still was a little nervous. You never know what could be on someones mind when the smile at you. Guess I should not be that way, so far you had been nice to me so I had no reason to think the other people here would not be. Sitting up straight as you came back I smiled hoping my suspicion was not written all over my face as I wondered what you two were talking about.

"Great!" I said smiling as you sat back down. "Thanks again Mr. Holden...You did not have to do that." My eyes shifted to the table as I place the palms of my hands down and tapped my fingers to the beat of the music.

Looking over at you as you asked where I was from, I sighed not really wanting to go into that right now. I was finally free from that hell hole and was not really ready to dive into thoughts of there again.

"Well I...I am from a city far away from Baywood. Took me a few days to get here. It was nothing like this place." I said as I looked off into the distance.

Wanting to change the subject, I felt a bit bold and decided to just ask since I was curious.

"So...Ummm...who was your friend there?" I asked nervously.
Belle
Belle

Back to top Go down

Post by William Holden Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:23 pm

I look at you and nod as you give me the vague answer about where you are from and such. I realise that this trip was not one for pleasure out planned and you have been on the road for days. Uncoveringg that I decide not to push it any further and choose to answer your question about who i was talking to at the counter top.

"That is Rufus, also know as Roofie, he owns this place and is always here. He's an ex hippie and lived here for most of his life. He is going to get you some food and bring it over. He's a nice guy, very funny and very anti government and corporate. He's a good friend if mine and I tend to sit round here talking and playing chess with him."

As if on cue, he approaches with a bowl of home made tomato and rice soup and a thick cut sandwich. He places them, a spoon and napkin before you and smiles a crooked smile. he is at least 60 and looks wheathered and his teeth crooked, but with a warm look in his blue eyes and a kind smile.

"hello friend of Will, welcome to Baywood..enjoy your meal!l
William Holden
William Holden
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Belle Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:26 am

I glare over at the man behind the counter as you spoke and smiled slightly. My hed slowly nodding as I think that guy sounds pretty cool. Never met a hippie before, just heard bad storys of them in my square town. Did not seem bad from what I saw.

"Cool...he sounds interesting." I said as my eyes slowly drug back to you. My head now bobbing to the music as smiled at you.

Looking up as the long haired dude appeared out of nowhere, I jumped a bit as he place the food on the table. Geez, I thought shaking my head. Took m eyes away for a second and he is all over here. Not that I mind, he was bringing me food and from what you said he sound awesome.

"Hello Sir." I said smiling at the man "Thank you!"

Looking over at you, I quickly pulled my food closer and started to dig in like a hungry dog with no shame. The tasty soup warming my body as inhaled it. Looking at you out the corner of my eye, I realized how fast I was eating as a drip of soup trickled down my chin. Placing my spoon down, I picked up my napkin and wiped m chin thinking I should slow dow a bit.

"This is really good Sir." I said picking up my spoon and sipping my soup from it slowly.
Belle
Belle

Back to top Go down

Post by William Holden Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:06 am

As I watch you eat the food, or more accurately devour the food, I realise that this is more serous than I had realised. Thinking to my self that this girl is starving hungry, been travelling with aim or direction and has very little means for accommodation or food. I conclude that she must be running away from something or someone that is so unacceptable that she would put herself into a difficult and scary situation such as lone travelling with no money. I gently push over another paper napkin as you drink at the soup spoon, a light smile not to judge but to offer a bit of help there.

I shake my head slowly and smile again, I feel like I am the Cheshire cat here but I want to be friendly and at least help this girl. “Please no Sir here, Will is my name, everyone called me that and I would appreciate it if you call me that also”

The band launches into ‘Living on a prayer’ and the crowd really starts to move and sing along, I catch myself joining in before I see a reflection of me in the glass and catch the tune in my throat. I glance over to see if you noticed my moment of abandon, I feel a bit sheepish as I know I cannot sing but in a crowd, I doubt no one would notice.

I know that I cannot touch on any area of the reasons or circumstances for your appearance here in Baywood but I need to engage with you and build some trust here before I can help you ”so you like this music, it is a bit before your time I guess! But good music last the test of time, don’t you think?”
William Holden
William Holden
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Belle Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:35 am

As you pushed over the napkin, I smiled over at you as I drank down my last bit of soup. My belly dancing as it feels a bit of relief from the hunger pains. I did not realize just how hungry I was until I started. Good thing I came here with you. The food was awesome, plus they had music. It was a win win situation here.

Looking over at the stage as the band started into another song, I smiled wide and pulled my sandwich in closer. My head bobbing as I took a big bite out of the meaty goodness. Hearing a bit of singing rather close through the crowd, I looked over at you out the corner of my eye chuckling to myself. I could see you were enjoying the music with everyone. Pretending I did not hear your not so great vocals, I shifted in my seat as I hummed along and took another bite of my sandwich.

Looking over at you as you asked if I like this music, I shyly smile I shrugged my shoulders at you.

"Yeah, I like this music....Will." I grin "My ummm...Mother would play this stuff all the time. Kinda got embedded in my brain since we only had one radio to use. " Said taking a deep breath in shaking my head. "It might be before my time, but it was what I grew up on. To be honest, I think I was born in the wrong era anyway." I chuckled as I took another bit of my sandwich and looked over the crowd.
Belle
Belle

Back to top Go down

Post by William Holden Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:54 am

I see the gratitude and relief on your face as you finish the soup, the sandwich pulled closer to you and being eaten with the same level of enthusiasm, I realise how hungry you were and that worries me to some extent.  Soup and a sandwich will help you tonight but I am wondering about the next night or day for that manner and what will be come of you then.

I slip off my jacket deciding I will stay here the evening and hopefully keep belle here while I try and figure out what i can do to help this young lady. It is clear she needs a place to stay and some good advise regarding what to do next.

I nod as you mention family and the memories of growing up, I wonder what has happened there that made it so bad that you had to lave and come away with no real plan or destination. The comment about the wrong era causes me to laugh out loud, hearing that from such a young lady as you."well i guess I am the right ear really then, I grew up with this and loved it the first time round! Oh listen, I love this one!" I jump to my feet and hear the classic riffs of 'Here I go again' by Whitesnake. I am not the only 'old guy' enjoying tonight it seems the owner is taking to playing air guitar along with the band and flicking his hair about like a whip! The younger generation are watching in equal measure of amusement and astonishment as Rufus rocks out!
William Holden
William Holden
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Belle Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:05 pm

Looking at you out the corner of my eye, I chewed slowly watching tou take your coat off. It was a bit warm in here, but I for sure was not taking my hoodie off. No telling what my tank looked like under here. Plus I knew I was in need of a shower, so there was not point in taking it off here.

As you stood up with the crowd, I chuckled as I looked at you enjoying yourself. It was nice to be around a friendly person for a change. Not just the stuck up people who hide behind smiles where I was from.

As I took another bite of my sandwich, I smiled over at you as I reached out with one hand for my napkin. Nodding my head I think to myself this guy is pretty cool just from his taste in music. Not the best singer, but had a ear for good tones.

"Yeah...It is a good one." I smiled wide as my eyes darted over to Rufus rocking out. "Looks like he thinks so too." My smile going ear to ear as I sat there swaying in place to the music. "I love this song, but my favorite on by them is Still of the Night." I said bobbing my head as I took another big bite of my sandwich.

One of the few things I loved in this worlld was music, so being here surrounded by all this awesome music and great food was making me feel more then welcome. Plus there was you who I seemed to feel pretty comfortable around which was rare. Maybe the last stop on the bus was where I should have gotten off.
Belle
Belle

Back to top Go down

Post by William Holden Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:31 pm

I move to the music enjoying the bouyant mood her e tonight, it is certainly true that Roofie knows how to throw a great bash and also I am grateful he opened his kitchen after it shut and personally made a sandwich and warmed the soup for me. Iwould hate Belle to realise that we went to special trouble for her and as i look back at her reflect in the glass store front, i can see what looks like a smile at her lips. I guess its me dancing and trying to sing.

Hearing her evaluation and apparent knowledge of the whitesnake back catalogue i grin. "i use to have the album on vinyl back in England, god alone where i is now!" THe band takes a break and i see Robbie up here making adjustments to the equipment, I smile hes a character that one, never happy unless he is working on something do with music.

"I am so glad you like it, I come here all the time, roofie is a friend and well we just normally play chess or talk, but every few weeks the local bands play!" I look at her and decide it is time to ask. "Belle, where you planning to stay tonight?" he tries to intercept any look of horror or fear from her "Im asking if i can help, i call a friend up she will have a spare room or give you some money for the boardinghouse at the edge of town. I have my place just along there, but i am offering a bed and nothing more.. ok? I want you warm and safe.. so i am offering the spare room at mine, it has alock for you to feel safe or I can make some calls before it gets too late"
William Holden
William Holden
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Belle Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:40 am

"Really...Vinyl?" I smiled up at you brightly. "Well you should see if you brought it over....you never know." My smile widen as I opened my mouth and popped the last bite of my sandwich in my mouth. Savoring in the flavor of the delicious food, I sat back on the sofa wiping my mouth as everyone spread out while the band took a break. For this being my first concert of sorts, it was pretty cool. Who would have guessed I would have ended up here, I would not have. Maybe this was where I was meant to be. Baywood, Ii thoght to myself looking around the shop with a slight smile to my face.

Hearing you talk about Rufus again, I looked up at you and nod my head. I could see why you would hang out with him. Really nice guy and could play one hell of air guitar. As you began to ask about where I was going to stay, I could feel my nerve set in. I had no clue where to go from here. I was lucky you happen to walk by and got a meal. I just figured I would tuck away somewhere. It would not be that bad. But then you start to sugguest different places and my mind began to work. I had a little money, so maybe I could get a room. Then you offered your place. Wow, was all I could think as I glared over at you. Why would anyone offer there home like that. They sure would not do that where I was from, but nothing was similar to it here.

"Well...I...I don't really have a place to stay." I lowered my head as my hands clamped together. "I have a bit of my own money so I could get a room. I don't want to intrude on you or anything. You don't even know me." I sighed looking at you out the corner of my eye. My fingers twirling as I try to think of what to say.
Belle
Belle

Back to top Go down

Post by William Holden Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:10 am

I watch te body language and realise she is in trouble. She needs a place to stay somewhere safe and wile my friends and the boarding house would be safe, I know there is no one there to make sure she is okay in the morning, I get the impression that given a moment she might just head off again. There is no way I wan that to happen, she was lucky this time bit next time she may well meet someone with less kinder an intention of get herself into a real fix.

I smile at her and just pat the twitching hand lightly, trying to make it a friendly gesture. "Belle, I really would like you to stay at my home. It is warm and safe, the doors have locks from the inside and you will be safe. I think it might be too late for a room at the boarding house and my friend may already have plans. So I will ask you again, please come to my home and be my guest. I promise no harm will come to you there!"

I release my hand and put it back in the lap, looking at my watch i realise that there will only be a few more songs here before the end and most people are watching the band return to stage. Before the music starts and makes conversation difficult I say "seriously please let me do this one thing for you, I wont sleep at all if I am worried about you tonight.... and i need my sleep!" I smile as i joke and turn to watch the band kick into 'power of love'.
William Holden
William Holden
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Belle Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:35 am

Looking down at youur hand as it pats mine, I flinced not use to someone touching me. Darting my eyes to you, I siighed unsure of what to do. It was bad enough I was out here on my own, but then to have a complete stranger open is his up to me should have sent red flags up to me, but seeing the sincerity in your eyes, I figured maybe one night would not be too bad. You had been super nice to me so far, mayybe it would not be a bad choice to go with you. Plus I for sure did not want to to worry you.

Placing the palms of my hand on the table as the muusic kicked in, I smiled gently over at you as I took a deep breath in.

"Okay then William, but you have to promise no singing in the middle of the night." I chuckled as I reached up and tucked my hair behind my ear and looked up at the band jamming on.
Belle
Belle

Back to top Go down

Post by William Holden Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:45 am

I see the flinch as I touch her and realise that the reassuring gesture has some what back fired on me. I move my hand away as quickly as i can without it seeming to be a reaction, I dont want to make this girl scared of anything here, least of all me. "please , just one night.. promise you will be safe from me"

Then i hear your joke, the worried frown turns to a wider grin and my eyes lighten up as you tease me about the singing. I nod in agreement, "ok absolutely no singing tonight, I give my word as an old scout" I move my hands to my heart and wink, for one moment eyes to eye not hiding under those dark tresses and nervous hands. THe applause breaks the moment, as I look over and realise that we have missed the last two songs whilst talking, the ray has gone too and people a re starting to disperse into the night either , if old enough, to aces or home or up to the bluff for some of the things the do up there.
William Holden
William Holden
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Belle Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:02 pm

"Oooh...Scouts honor..." I chuckled rolling my eyes. "Okay then...Deal!" I smiled wide as I looked into your eyes feeling pretty good about my choice. One night would not hurt. If I felt unsafe, I have a lock on the door. All I knew was a nice warm bed was just what I needed tonight.

"Thank you William." I said looking over at you not even paying attention to the thinning crowd as I breathe deeply. My glare locked on you as I wondered just why you were so nice.
Belle
Belle

Back to top Go down

Post by William Holden Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:12 pm

"umm its kind of closing here and I am sure Roofie would let us stay all night , we should let him get to his home too.He use to sleep here, you know in the back but i kinda helped him get a mortgage and now he lives just down the end of the park in a great home, you realise, for a guy reaching the long end of 60, he never had a proper home."

I stand and offer to take your bag as i move to the door, I pause a few times to remind the guys about the try outs, is a mixed reation. The cold night air after the body heat warmed inside is a shock to me and i pull my coat close. "its not far, just a few minutes, ok?!"
William Holden
William Holden
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Belle Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:42 pm

"He did?" I mumbled as I looked over at the older man. Seemed like he would be a wise one to hear some tells from. I would have to make it a point to stop by here before I left this town and talk to him.

Looking as you stood up, I pulled my bag close as I wobbled up behind you. My arm hurting a bit from lugging the not so heavy bag around. Tugging at my hoodie, I smiled as you offered to carry my bag again. This time taking you up since eating has winded me a bit. Handing the bag over I listened as you uttered something out to some dudes. Try outs, I thought trying to stick close and not get lost in what little crowd was left. Nodding my head as you spoke to me, I placed my hands in my pocket as I hoped I was not noticed much.

"Okay..." I said quietly as I followed you closely as I shivered a bit feeling a chill in the air.
Belle
Belle

Back to top Go down

Post by William Holden Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:03 pm

I walk up the hillside that leads away from the main streets and the lights there, the further we move up the hill, the darker it gets, the house at the top seems well lit from the outside, the brick exterior seems to b the last source of light up te hill. He carries the bag, again concerning myself that it feels so light after all the burdens you seem to own.

"i bought this place a few years ago, i had alot of it remodelled but there are places i have not done so yet..."

He opens the door and invites you in" make yourself comfortable and if you like we can have some hot chocolate as desert tonight"
William Holden
William Holden
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Belle Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:11 am

As we walked along the streets, I looked around wide eyed at how unreal this town seemed. We did not have thngs like this in my city, so it was almmost like I was in the rwilight zone trucking around here.

Walking up the hillside, I looked up at your place in awe. For it not being done it looked pretty cool.

"Wooow..." I grin "This place looks awesome." I said wiping my dirty sneakers at the door. "That sound great." My grin spread as I think of the warm tasty treat.
Belle
Belle

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum